Wednesday, October 12, 2016

My Simple Chiffon Cake (戚風蛋糕 / 雪芳蛋糕)


Chiffon cake is one of my favourite cake. A light, fluffy, soft and moist cake. I love it since very young. Ever since I introduced the cake to my children, they love it too! Never ever thought I would know how to bake a yummy chiffon cake. It was after many attempts, I finally got it right! :) Don't give up if you find that your chiffon cake texture is somehow not as moist or fluffy. It is a matter of practice!

Here is the recipe for the original flavour chiffon cake which I have tried. I came across a recipe from http://tw.gigacircle.com/700591-1?r=18825 - which was written in Chinese. I have tried and not very successful on my first attempt but my reviews over the whole process thereafter made me adjusted the baking method leading to success at last.:)

Here's the ingredients needed:-
You need 2 mixing bowls. One for the egg yolk batter and another one for the egg whites...

Get ready the following ingredients...
(A) 6 egg yolks, 75g cooking oil, 90g fresh milk, 106g cake flour or low protein flour (低粉/低筋面粉)
(B) 6 egg whites, 0.5 tsp cream of tartar, 105g icing sugar (yes, this recipe ask for icing sugar...)

** Use 6 large eggs. However, if the eggs are medium large, then add 1 extra egg to the recipe. Meaning, the recipe becomes 7 egg yolks and 7 egg whites.

Steps for egg yolks batter (A)...
- Combine egg yolks with oil. Mix well.
- Add in fresh milk. Stir well.
- Sift in flour. Stir until smooth (well combined) (as per 3rd photo below)
* Put aside the egg yolks batter to let it rest.

  

 Meanwhile, move on to work on ingredient (B) ie the egg whites...
Steps:-
- Combine egg whites and cream of tartar and whisk with high speed until just frothy. Note: Must do it in one direction only! (- Add in 1/3 of icing sugar. Continue to whisk with high speed until well mixed (doesn't take long)
- Quickly add in another 1/3 of icing sugar and continue to whisk with high speed until combined.
- Add in the balance icing sugar and continue to whisk evenly until stiff (ie the meringue can form a small peak) and will not fall off the mixing bowl when inverted...
(Note: To test whether the meringue is ready, you need to test few spots of the meringue eg. the middle, the left, the right, the north and the south. It is ready for next step if each part tested gave the same peak  pointy look like the 4th quarter photo below.)

Final steps:
- Put 1/3 egg whites meringue into the egg yoke batter. Fold gently with spatula to combine the meringue with egg yolk batter. Gently... Don't rush.


- Then pour this batter into the balance egg whites meringue. Fold gently until just combine. Remember: Don't over do it. Otherwise, you will deflate the meringue...

- Pour the ready batter into an ungreased 22-25cm chiffon cake baking tin
- Pat gently around the baking tin to remove the air / small bubbles that were captured during whisking

- Bake in preheated oven at 160 degree C for about 55min until cooked and light golden brown. (Tip: use a tooth pick to test whether it is cooked)
- Remove from oven. Quickly pat GENTLY around the baking tin and invert it immediately to let it cool.
- Be patient. Let it cool down completely before removing from the baking tin.

(Note: I find that pat gently around the baking tin before inverting works for me. If you live in countries where there are 4 seasons weather, I suggest you need to do this essential step. During my inital learning, my chiffon cake somehow sank regardless of how well and how pretty the cake came out from oven. However, after discovering this tips, my chiffon cake seems to look okay everytime I bake. No more sinking cake after cooling! Yes!)

*I find that this is the best way to cool my chiffon cake. :)







1 comment:

  1. 22/11/2016 - Just updated with more photo steps. Hope this makes it easier for readers. :)

    ReplyDelete