Monday, October 24, 2016

Simple Baked Paper Wrapped Chicken Parcel (纸包鸡)



My mum-in-law is a very good cook. We all love her cooking very much! One of her famous dish is the paper wrapped chicken parcel. She would either use her small oven or her Philips air fryer to make this dish and it always turned out great! So delicious! Yum!! Unfortunately, I didn't managed to learn from her before migrating oversea. Silly me...Oops...

I must learn from her when I travel back as I find that her marinate for the chicken tasted way better. The problem is that she is a cook with recipe in her heart. She can't tell me the exact measurement for each ingredient. The common answer I would get from her are: "little bit of this" and "little bit of that". lol!

Oh well, I am satisfied with the recipe I have gotten from Mr. Google for now. Learning to be a creative cook and mum, I have attempted many different dishes to make my children love mum more! Hehe...

My children, mum has decided to pen it down for your future reference. And here's the recipe:-
My initial learning was from a recipe book I bought from Popular Book Store Malaysia and from a blog at http://choodoris.blogspot.com.au/…/paper-wrapped-chicken.ht… . Apparently, different people marinated the chicken differently. Hence, I have modified some marinate ingredients to make it my version ..😬😬...

Here's my marinade ingredients for the chicken:
- 1.3kg chicken (mixture of drumsticks and wings)
- 1.5 tbsp cornflour
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp Chinese five spice powder
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- 3 tsp sugar
- 2 or 3 tsp dark soy sauce (thick sauce 晒油)
- 3 tsp oyster sauce
- 2 tbsp Chinese cooking wine (Hsao Hsing)
- 4 tsp light soy sauce
- 2 tsp grated ginger
- 0.5 tsp white pepper
- 0.25tsp garlic powder (optional)
Marinate the chicken for 4-6 hours.

For wrapping each chicken with the baking paper (ie. together with 1 or 2 tablespoon of the marinate sauce), it is very similar to wrapping spring rolls but you need to brush some cooking oil or sesame oil on baking paper before wrapping.. And the last bit is to tuck in the baking paper so that the sauce will not leak when you start deep frying or baking it. (Please refer http://choodoris.blogspot.com.au/…/paper-wrapped-chicken.ht… for better understanding on how to tuck in the baking paper.)

I never tried deep frying method but I have tried both air frying the paper wrapped chicken or oven baked them. I normally prefer oven bake as I could bake everything all at once with my oven. For oven bake, what I do is I would spray some oil on each parcel and bake at 200 degree C for about 50 minute.

No comments:

Post a Comment