Thursday, November 10, 2016

Banana Fritters (Cekodok Pisang)...The Malaysian Way (炸香蕉丸)

I must share the recipe for this wonderful snack. It is actually not hard to make. Pretty simple I should say. Back then, I used to work in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. Whenever I took an LRT (train) to work, I could see some street food stores selling this delicious banana fritters. I still remember paying MYR1 for 3 banana fritters? I wonder whether I have remembered it correctly..hmm..

Anyway, here is one of the ways to make this delicious snack:-
 - 6 ripe bananas (note: I used only 5 bananas this round as the bananas I bought were quite big.)
- 120g to 130g plain flour (sifted)
- 4 tbsp sugar
- 0.5 tsp salt
- 3 tbsp desiccated coconut
- 2 tbsp fresh milk
- 0.25 tsp baking powder
(Make about 18-20 banana fritters.)
Method:-
- Lightly mash the bananas (Note: If you mash too much, bananas will become "watery".)
- Add in the rest of the ingredients and mix well.
Now the frying part...
- Heat up the cooking oil at high heat.
- Scoop a tablespoon of batter and drop it into the hot oil. Reduce heat to medium and fry/deep fry it until golden brown.
- Serve hot.
Note: During the frying process, avoid using high heat as the banana fritters will be over fried / turned black / burnt very fast.

Tips: How much cooking oil for deep frying? Some uses 5 cups of cooking oil but I don't think it is necessary!! Depending on how big is your pot / wok, just make sure that it could cover at least half the height of the batter you drop into the hot oil. I was using a small pot to fry my banana fritters this time as I didn't want to use too much of cooking oil, and I wanna take photos for the blog! Better control before my banana fritters turn brown..lol...

Tips2: If you are not eating it right away or you have left over, you could air fry them for awhile the next day at about 140 degree C for about 4 minutes (i.e. reheat), so that you could eat them warm/hot.


No comments:

Post a Comment