Tuesday, November 1, 2016

Simple Banana Cake - Perfect for breakfast or tea break! (香蕉蛋糕)

I have not had this banana cake (Malaysian way) for a long time. Suddenly crave for it when I saw the recipe book and the picture of it. I could imagine the taste now and how easy it was to get it from the market during those days. Since I was cracking my head thinking of what breakfast to prepare for my boys, I have good reasons to bake this cake if I manage to get some ripe bananas from the shop. I didn't bake it in the morning rush time. I baked ahead last night. ;)

My initial reference for this cake was the recipe from Agnes Chang's baking book but I have added some cinnamon powder to give the cake a boost in flavour. Here's the recipe for the simple banana cake like the above:-

180g butter (Let it soften a little at room temperature)
180g sugar (Depending on whether the bananas you have gotten are riped & sweet, and whether you prefer sweeter cake. You may want to add slightly more sugar than this recipe.)
2 eggs (I used L size eggs)
4 ripe bananas (coarsely mashed)
3 tbsp fresh milk mixed with 1 tbsp lemon juice (ie. to make sour milk)
(A) - 240g plain flour, 1 tsp baking powder, and 1 tsp baking soda (mix them and sifted together)
2 or 3 dashes of cinnamon powder (optional)

Method:-
- Prepare a bread loaf size baking tray (25cm x 15cm). Cut and put in the baking paper and lightly grease it. Set aside.
- Cream the butter and sugar with a cake mixer untill creamy. Then add eggs one at a time, creaming well after each egg.
- Mix in the mashed bananas, sour milk, the flour mixture (A) and the cinnamon powder
- Once done, pour the batter into a greased and lined baking tray.
- Bake the cake in a pre-heated oven at 180 degree C for about 20 - 30 minutes untill cooked and golden brown. (Note: Depending on individual oven. Some needed longer time to bake. Use a skewer or toothpick to check whether the cake is cooked especially middle part. Poke in the skewer or toothpick, and if it comes out clean when you pull out of the cake, then it means cooked! However, if the skewer or toothpick comes out sticky, you got to leave it bake longer in your oven.)
- Once done, remove the cake from the oven. Let it cool before slicing and serving. (Note: Unlike chiffon cake, this cake does not need to invert over for cooling.) 

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment