Wednesday, November 16, 2016

Going Sweet...Slow Cook Sweet Snow Fungus "Soup" With Lily Bulbs (雪耳糖水)

Have been very busy lately with lots of matters. Can't share much here but very tired indeed. All in all, it is just not easy to be parents!!

Made something light for my family today. Simple slow cook sweet snow fungus soup with lily bulbs.
Here's how I made it...

15g snow fungus (white fungus)
20g lily bulbs
10g mixed sweet and bitter almond (南北杏)
6 red dates
85g rock sugar
1.8 litre hot water (Note: I used hot boiled water from my Thermos. Please refer to your slow cooker manual if you are concerned about putting hot boiled water into the slow cooker as some shared that their slow cooker must start off with cooled water. If you use cooled water, then you need to cook it longer.)

Method:

- Rinse the snow fungus, lily bulbs, the almond and red dates. Drain.
- Place all the ingredients into a slow cooker.
- Let it cook at high heat for 0.5 hour. Switch to auto cook function and let the "soup" cook slowly in the slow cooker for about 2 hours. (Note: Unless you are using low heat, do not let the soup slow cook for too many hours as the snow fungus and lily bulbs will become too soft and "thicken" the soup.)

**This round, I use low heat throughout the cooking process. I started around 12.30pm and only switch off my slow cooker around 8pm (as I was out attending to unforeseen matters). I was worried but thank God, still okay! Not too soft and the soup still clear and not thick!

No comments:

Post a Comment